The DOST-PCHRD Undergraduate Thesis Grant in Natural Products provides fund support to all undergraduate students who will conduct their thesis on natural products. The program aims to sustain a research culture in natural products to increase the number of research and later on build a pool of researchers/experts specializing in the field.
The program supports the Drug Discovery and Development program of the Department of Science and Technology-Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (DOST-PCHRD) which aims to develop safe, effective and affordable alternative drugs from the country's natural resources. Thesis grants will be given to 2 undergraduate entries per region. After completion of the project, a competition will be held to selected qualified students to recognize innovative work on natural products.
1. Who can apply All undergraduate students of Pharmacy, Chemistry, Nursing and Health and Allied Sciences who have thesis proposals on natural products may apply. The proposed thesis study must use plants indigenous in the region. The project must be completed a year after receiving the grant.
2. How to apply Applicants should submit the following documents to the Regional Health Research and Development Consortium (RHRDC):
- a) Duly accomplished prescribed research proposal form with college seal
- b) Endorsement letter from the institution signed by the head of the university college dean
- c) Soft copy of the proposal (word format)
- d) Hard copy of the proposal using A4 paper (3 copies)
- e) Certificate of plant authentication
- f) Appropriate clearances: Bureau of Animal Industry clearance for studies involving animal subjects Biosafety Clearance for studies involving genetic engineering and pathogenic organisms National Commission on Indigenous Peoples Clearance for studies involving Indigenous Peoples Gratuitous Permit from Biodiversity Management Bureau for studies involving collection of flora and fauna from DENR Protected Areas Ethical clearance for studies involving human subjects
- g) Curriculum vitae of the students and adviser using the prescribed form3
- Two (2) thesis proposals will be selected per region who will receive a grant amounting to a maximum of Fifty Thousand Pesos (P 50,000.00). The thesis fund will be deposited to the bank account of the thesis adviser and will be liquidated after the completion of the study
- A Memorandum of Agreement will be signed between the students, adviser, head of the institution and DOST-PCHRD
- The grant must be expended based on the approved line-item budget CASH AWARD After the oral presentation, fund support will be provided to the top 3 relevant and innovative thesis studies.
Deadline of Submission proposals to the consortium for shortlisting is on May 25, 2018.
Deadline for submission of endorsed proposals to PCHRD is on June 11, 2018.