Translating Research into Policy
Who: Representatives from Regional Health Consortia
What: 3-Minute Pitch to Policymakers Competition
When: August 13, 2019 (13th PNHRS Week Celebration), 1-5:00 PM
Where: Limketkai Luxe Hotel, Cagayan de Oro
The competition will focus on the presentation of successfully completed health research studies with aims of exercising and cultivating researchers’ presentation, and research communication skills as a way of sharing evidence to stakeholders and policymakers.
The participants should be able to present their completed research in a three-minute, one-slide presentation for a non-specialist audience based on set criteria.
Tentative Schedule of Activities
|1:00 - 1:15||Welcome Remarks|
|1:15 – 1:30 PM||
Short Introduction of 3MP
Discussion of Rules and Criteria for Judging
|1:30 – 4:00 PM||
|4:00 – 4:20 PM||
Deliberation by Judges
|4:20 – 4:45 PM||
Announcement of Winners
|4:45 – 5:00 PM||
1. Prior to the contest, all consortia are informed of the schedule of activities, components of the pitch, criteria for judging, rules and prizes and other relevant information regarding the
2. The submission includes the following:
2.1 Abstract of completed research (Deadline: July 18, 2019)
a. Maximum of 2 pages, in Arial Font, size 11, 1” margin on all sides
b. Abstract should consist of: Title, Authors, Introduction, Methodology, Results and Discussion, and Recommendation/s
2.2 Target audience for the policy pitch (Deadline: July 18, 2019)
a. Target audience should be specific (ex. Regional Director of DOH, City Mayor, Regional Schools Division Superintendent, etc.)
2.3 Copy of the 1-slide presentation and script (Deadline: July 30, 2019)
a. Please see Rules below for details.
Note: Failure to submit the above requirements will lead to disqualification.
Suggested Components and Flow of the 3-Minute Pitch to Policymakers
✓ Introduce Yourself: Who are you? What is your expertise? Advocacy?
✓ State the Problem: What is the issue you are trying to solve? What are the key messages/points about why the issue is important?
✓ Present Your Solution: What is the significance and the relevant outcomes of your research?
✓ Describe Your Value Proposition
✓ Offer a CTA (Call to Action): How the person you are talking to can help?
* Participants are free to modify the components and flow of their pitch based on their strategy. There are various materials online to help in constructing a compelling 3-minute pitch.
Criteria for Adjudicators
(Lifted from University of Queensland’s 3MT: 3-Minute Thesis Presentation)
• Did the presentation provide an understanding of the background and significance to the research question being addressed, while explaining terminology and avoiding jargon?
• Did the presentation clearly describe the impact and/or results of the research, including conclusions and outcomes?
• Did the presentation follow a clear and logical sequence?
• Did the presentation make the audience want to know more?
• Was the presenter careful not to trivialise or generalise their research?
• Did the presenter convey enthusiasm for their research?
• Did the presenter capture and maintain their audience's attention?
• Was the topic, research significance, results/impact and outcomes communicated in language appropriate to an intelligent non-specialist audience?
• Did the speaker avoid scientific jargon, explain terminology and provide adequate background information to illustrate points?
• Did the speaker have sufficient stage presence, eye contact and vocal range; maintain a steady pace, and have a confident stance?
• Did the presenter spend adequate time on each element of their presentation - or did they elaborate for too long on one aspect or was the presentation rushed?
• Did the PowerPoint slide enhance the presentation - was it clear, legible, and concise?
1. Only 1 single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (without any slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description; the slide is to be presented at the start of the pitch).
2. No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
3. No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
4. The pitch shall be delivered without reading of script, in any form.
5. Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
6. Presentations are to be spoken word (i.e. no poems, raps or songs).
7. Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through movement or speech, from the stage.
8. The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
1st Place: Php 30,000
2nd Place: Php 20,000
3rd Place: Php 10,000
Additionally, there are prizes for audience votes: People’s Choice Award: Php 5,000
Videos of winners of the 3-Minute Pitch to Policymakers will be disseminated in the PCHRD
Website’s Policy Corner and consent to post their pitch shall be requested.
Call for Applications: PhD Fellowship Program in Molecular Biomedicine
The program aims to develop a pool of high-quality human resources in Molecular Biomedicine to contribute in the country's global competitiveness and economic development.
Program duration: 3 years
More details: www.pchrd.dost.gov.ph
ASEAN University Network
2nd International Health Promotion Conference
Moving Towards Healthy Universities in Asia
August 19-21, 2019
The University of the Philippines hosts the 2nd International ASEAN University Network – Health Promotion Conference this Aug. 20-21, 2019 in Manila. The conference, with its theme of “Moving Towards Healthy Universities in Asia,” aims to highlight the roles of universities in promoting healthy lifestyles and environments with the end-goal of empowering communities to embark on activities and programs that promote health. Success stories and challenges will be presented and strategies discussed in the context of local communities and universities. The conference is open to participants both in the ASEAN region and all over the world. Everyone is invited to join this conference and become active in health promotion in their own communities!
For abstract submission: https://aunhpnmnl2019.wixsite.com/conference/abstract-submission
For registration: https://aunhpnmnl2019.wixsite.com/conference/registration
Note: Registration fee and payment procedures are still being finalized. You may visit the UP website for updates.